Tuesday, July 28, 2015

Jaguar --by Bill Ransom

Science Fiction/Fantasy

300 pages / 532 KB
5 Stars

I bought, and read, Jaguar many years ago, probably around 1990 when it first came out. I loved it, lost it, but never forgot it. So, I recently bought another copy, and read it again for the first time.

While I did not forget the book, or the basic premise, I did forget a lot of the story, and enjoyed reading it again. Mr. Ransom is also a poet of some renown, and the poetry he so loves, come through in his prose. There were times when I stopped, and savored a sentence just for the feel of it in my mouth as I read it aloud.

Great literature? Probably not, but a heckuva good read! Mr. Ransom is a great teller of stories.

There are four main characters with a couple of pretty important supporting characters. The four main ones are children who have been abused in one form or another during their lives, a boy and girl on this side of the veil, and a boy and girl on the other.

They meet through dreams, become friends, and together, fight the Jaguar, who would destroy them all. The fight is, literally, a fight to the death—and a fight to save their worlds and their sanity.

The topics of dreaming, of abuse, of parallel worlds are come to play.

I enjoyed this book the first time I read it and if possible, I enjoyed it even more this second time through. Heartily recommend Jaguar for a good read.


No comments:

Post a Comment