Saturday, February 10, 2024

Shards of Honor (The Vorkosigan Saga, Book 1 of 16) Kindle Edition --by Lois McMaster Bujold

 ASIN: B005BH9T86

Publisher: Spectrum Literary Agency, Inc (July 6, 2011

Language: English

File size: 917 KB

Text-to-speech: Enabled

Print length 295 pages

5 Stars

 

If your book club needs some excitement, suggest this book. It’s a fun story, well told, with a bit of space opera, romance, conflict, and an ending. It is the first book in a series, and I appreciate the ending, not a cliff hanger to get me to buy the next book. I seldom buy the next book when I come across an ending like that. I have, however, books 2, 3, & 4 of the Vorkosigan Saga  waiting in my Kindle as I write this.

 

Bujold is a masterful storyteller and this is a master story. There are several quips scattered throughout, which bring smiles to chuckles to laughs out loud. The characters are believable. The good guys are just that, and the bad guys are evil. And, it’s fiction and I love it. Lots of action, no nightmares, so it makes a great bedtime read.

 

The afterward at the end, seems a bit like a set up for another book, but I’m not sure. It was interesting, and a nice ending. I think people who are, at best, iffy on science fiction will enjoy this book.

 

Shards of Honor was the book for this month’s read in the book club to which I belong. I can hardly wait until we meet to discuss it. There is a damaged hero in this book that I hope surfaces in the later books. 

No comments:

Post a Comment