Sunday, March 3, 2019

Premonition (#2 of Cotton Lee Penn books) --by Tower Lowe

fiction
324 pages / 670 KB
5 Stars

Set in the 1860s and the 1970s, this book offers a slightly different look at the Civil War and the people caught up in it both as it happened, and as descendants of those same people.

This is the second of the Cotton Lee books, and as soon as I knew it was available, I had pre-ordered a copy. As it happened, I was on a road trip when it arrived in my Kindle, and imagine my surprise when I discovered Homeville VA actually exists! Alas, I did not have the time to visit, though I was fairly close. Which is probably goodness, as I'd have been on the search for Miss Cotton Lee herself.

Cotton Lee is a survivor of polio (poor thing) and lives in the South (poor thing) and was raised to be a spinster invalid (poor thing). I mean, who in their right mind would want to marry a gal who limps (poor thing)?? Fortunately for our heroine, she has ignored most of those people around her and is currently employed as a private eye for the local lawyer. He sees a very capable young lady, not a (poor thing).

The Civil War swirls around Homeville back when, and the Viet Nam war swirls around Homeville in the present when. To be honest, I may not have bought the book had I realized half was centered in the Civil War. I am, frankly, a little tired of people who are still fighting it. Rest Assured, Mz Lowe is NOT still fighting that war, and the perspective of her characters actually gave some much-needed balance to it! 

A marvelous read. Buy it, read it, enjoy it!

To read my review of Gone on Sunday, the first Cotton Lee book, go here.

No comments:

Post a Comment