Saturday, November 20, 2021

Their War: The Perspectives of the South Vietnamese Military in the Words of Veteran-Emigres --by Julie Pham, PhD

 Nonfiction: History, War, Military

ISBN-10 ‏ : ‎ 1696484243

ISBN-13 ‏ : ‎ 978-1696484244

Independently published

June 30, 2019

96 pages

5 Stars

 

I saw Dr. Pham on a zoom discussion talk about her book and ordered a copy before the end of the show. It is primarily interviews with South Vietnamese military veterans and their recollections about the war and American participation. I found it fascinating to get their side of the story.

 

The biggest surprise was the almost total lack of rancor against the American Advisors. Reading these memories, given to the Vietnamese daughter of one of their own, they were honest, sincere, and totally fascinating.

 

If you are at all interested in that history, I strongly suggest buying and reading this book. It is one to keep and refer to now and again.


Another book I read many years ago, and have just ordered to read again, gives a Korean POV of the Vietnam War, White Badge by Jungyho An. Stand by for my review of that book as I reread it.

No comments:

Post a Comment