Monday, November 15, 2021

Artificial Intelligence: A Guide for Thinking Humans --by Melanie Mitchell

 Nonfiction: Artificial Intelligence

Page numbers source ISBN : ‎ 1250758041

Farar, Straus and Giroux; Illustrated edition

October 15, 2019

338 pages

5 Stars

 

This is not a book I would normally have picked up to read; however, my book club voted for it, and it truly is one of the most important books I didn’t know I wanted to read.

 

I am not a numbers person, and I tend to equate computers with numbers (1 and 0 to be precise), and it took me a bit to get into the book—hooked half-way through Chapter 5, but once I did, I found it very interesting. No, I am not going to go forth and take a class in computer programming, but I have a much better understanding now of what AI is, and perhaps more importantly, isn’t.

 

If the thought of AI frightens you, or if you think you welcome it with open arms, or are somewhat ambivalent because you don’t understand it, I highly recommend this book. It is accessible, Mitchell has an engaging way of writing, she tells relevant stories, and even brings Star Trek in a time or two. 

 

Truly one of the best Nonfiction books I’ve read this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment