Monday, November 15, 2021

Reparations Now! Poems --by Ashley M. Jones

 Nonfiction: Poetry

ISBN-10:  193823586X

ISBN-13: ‎ 978-1938235863

Hub City Press

September 7, 2021

80 pages

5 Stars

 

 

I can see why Alabama has named Ashley M. Jones their Poet Laureate! These poems are powerful, not only in her choice of words, but in the way she places them on the page. How many ways can you read “Hymn of Our Jesus & the Holy Tow Truck” on page 3?  “The Hymn of the Dogwood Tree” on page 19 brought me up short, the hymn is not the one I learned, but I looked it up. She’s correct. And the format of the poem, oh, yes. She even brings Gladys Knight into her book. 

 

These are intelligent poems by an intelligent woman and deserve to be read. If I were a teacher, I would have copies in my classroom, and use some of them for teaching history as well as English. 

No comments:

Post a Comment