Friday, August 13, 2021

Pacific Northwest Foraging for Beginners: A 3 Step…Field Guide —by Paul Macy

 Nonfiction / Food Gathering

153 pages / 9249 KB

4 Stars

 

Though I haven’t foraged in night on to 70 years, this book has ignited a spark to once again head for the hills, or at least the flats, and see what can be found. This book is easy to read and understand. Mr. Macy uses actual photos of the plants and fine drawings. I would not hesitate to take his book and forage.

 

I did find the recipes at the end difficult to read, as the brown seemed to bleed into the white letters, but not impossible. And I would have liked, since this is a book on the Pacific Northwest to have seen a few more plants mentioned, e.g., Chamomile, Devil’s Club, Fir Trees, Russian Olive, Miner’s Lettuce, and one found in Eastern Oregon and Washington, Datura. I don’t think we have enough Pine Trees to make them worth the mention, though I could be wrong.

 

I appreciated how Mr. Mace stressed sustainable harvesting, not just when to harvest, but how. I thought his ideas on cooking, serving, or saving/preserving were quite well done and appreciated. I would add one more item to my foraging kit: brand name hand sanitizer. I’ve found it works well on bites and blisters to cut the sting and burn, as well as cleaning hands.

 

If you’ve ever considered foraging for food, fun, or profit, this is the book for you. Nicely done.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment