Sunday, April 4, 2021

The Reluctant Queen (Book 2, The Queens of Renthia) --by Sarah Beth Durst

 Fiction / Fantasy

373 pages / 4582 KB

5 Stars

 

I am such a total coward! Really. I started this book and had a horrible feeling one of my favorite characters wasn’t going to make it the end. I even read the end and couldn’t tell. So I called my friend who recommended the books (gave them to me, actually) and said if she didn’t tell me, I’d put them up, unfinished. She told me. I finished the book. And soon hope to read the 3d and last. As I said, I’m a coward. Part of me wants to dive in right now, but part of me wants to hold off so I won’t reach those dreaded last two words, “The End.” I don’t want the series to end, I want to enjoy the world as long as possible.

 

I like how Daleina “grew” as queen, how she tackled the knowledge she would die with no heir. But I love Naelin, a mother of two, a divorcee, a reluctant heir, and the love interest of our favorite Champion. 

 

The romance in the book is nice, and realistic. And not overdone. This is an adventure fantasy, not a romance fantasy. Life is hard on this planet, but really, if you think about it, no harder than on ours, just different horrors we all must deal with. Nature is neither good nor bad, it just is.

 

As I said in my review of Book 1, Queen of Blood, buy all three books at once so you won’t have the frustration of being forced to wait unless you want it. and don’t be turned off by the title.

No comments:

Post a Comment