Sunday, April 4, 2021

In the Bear's House --by N. Scott Momaday

 Fiction / Nonfiction / Poetry

96 pages

5 Stars

 

 

Mr. Momaday and I share something in common,  as he says in the Introduction, he “hungers for wild mountains and rivers and plains. I love to be on Bear’s ground, to listen for that old guttural music under his breath, to know only that he is near. And Bear is welcome in my dreams, for in that cave of sleep I am at home to Bear.”

 

The first portion of the book is a series of dialogs between Yahweh and Urset, God and Bear. They are short, delightful, and well worth thinking about. Then there are poems and finally passages. Momaday writes deceptively easy poems that, when considered, pack a wallop. Momaday brings a Native American perspective to us, an explanation if we choose it, as to how and why indigenous peoples relate to nature. I love the different points of view of the transformation. It reminds me I am mortal, not to fear.

 

The illustrations are by the author and are wonderful. This is a book I shall read more than once.

No comments:

Post a Comment