Sunday, April 18, 2021

Caste: The Origins of Our Discontents --by Isabel Wilkerson

 Nonfiction 

496 pages 

5 Stars many times over!

 

As some reviewers have stated, this may be a tough read for some, but if it is, persevere and learn something. You may not agree with everything Ms. Wilkerson says in her book, but you will learn from it, and it may be a hard lesson—but a worthwhile one.

 

Some have accused her of being ‘left leaning’ and I think she is ‘life leaning’ for surely that is what her book is about, life, living, free, and full.

 

To be honest, I’d never considered caste in this country. Born and raised as a member of the dominate caste, I didn’t see it. I saw the racism, not the casteism, and yet I am a member of some of the lesser castes. 

 

When I get my eyes fastened to a good book, I tend to read too fast, turn those pages, get on to the next sentence, chapter, part. I know I miss things, and I tried to read more slowly. The goodness is, I own the book, it is mine, and I can read it again. And I will.

 

I think Caste is a book that should be required reading for all high school students before they graduate. It should be read in class and discussed in class. It should be discussed, in depth, chapter by chapter, at least two or three times per week. Daily would be better.

 

This is the best book I’ve read in quite some time. It is worthy of more than one reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment