Tuesday, August 8, 2017

Lens of the World (Lens of the World Trilogy Book 1) –by R. A. MacAvoy


Fiction / Fantasy
288 pages / 2261 KB
5 Stars

I just finished this book on my eReader. It had been several years since the series first came out, in 1990 I think, and therefore several years since I first read it. I have been a fan of MacAvoy's for years, and have read most, if not all of her books at least once, so finding this was like meeting an old friend after a long absence.

This book reads like a letter from an old friend. One who is catching you up on all that's gone on in his life since you last met. Fortunately for you, he's led a fascinating life since last you talked, and it is so hard to put this book down.

Nazhuret is an orphan of unknown parents and an outcast who is educated in a rather exclusive school until turned out. He then stumbles into the home of Powl, where his real education begins. Until he knows all that Powl can teach him, and he must make his own way in the world. (There are a few typos in the book, where Powl is spelled Fowl. Just know they are there and keep reading. Typos happen.)

I can't help but wonder if GRR Martin didn't get his idea for Tyrion Lannister from reading these books. Nazhuret and Tyrion are not the same character, but, still....


MacAvoy is a superb storyteller. I've never been even slightly disappointed in her books, and this one held up nicely to being re-read. Now that I think about it, all of her books have held up nicely to being re-read. If you haven't been introduced to Ms. MacAvoy's books, please, allow me to introduce you to Nazhuret.

No comments:

Post a Comment