Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Sometimes I'm Witchey, Sometimes I'm Not...


The Serpent's Kiss: A Witches of East End Novel –by Milissa de la Cruz

Fiction
750KB/330 pages
Footnotes/Endnotes: No
Illustrations: No
Suitable for eReaders: Yes

I purchased this book on the Kindle Daily Deal, intrigued by the title (love a really good witch story) and did not read any of the reviews. Had I done so, I would not have bothered. It is Book 2 of 3 books. And it reads that way.

There seemed to be little substance in the book, now I understand why -- it was merely a bridge between two other books. Unfortunately, I probably won't invest my time (or money) in either Book 1 or Book 2.

The setting is a delightful village of North Hampton, and the characters are fun. There was a lot of humor, which I like, the writing seemed solid, and it's probably too bad that Book 2 was offered on the Daily Deal rather than Book 1. I do wish the publishers of series books would put the number on the cover, ie, Book 2 of 3, to help readers understand what they are buying, especially when the purchase is made online.

As a stand alone book, I don't recommend this. As part of the series? Well, I can't recommend it because I haven't read the rest of the series. I am giving it an Amazon rating of 2 stars because it did not make me rush back to the computer to purchase any more of her books. (Please understand, I have picked up and read series books starting in the middle, on more than one occasion, only to rush back to the bookstore as soon as I finished to purchase the remainder of the series. While frustrating to start in the middle, it isn't the end of the world. In this case, though, it is the end of the series, at least for me.)

No comments:

Post a Comment