Sunday, January 13, 2013

How to Subdue and Properly Use your Editor


The 10% Solution –by Ken Rand  (Self-editing for the Modern Writer)

Nonfiction
95 pages
Footnotes/Endnotes: No
Illustrations: No
Suitable for eReaders: Yes

If you are a writer, you need this book. You need to read it, and read it again, and probably again through the years. It belongs on your desk, within arm's reach.

Do you know a writer? Buy them this book!

The most difficult thing for a writer to do is write and turn off her editor. The editor is loud, obnoxious, and says, "Me, me, me" until the writer agrees to let the editor play. The editor must be told, with great firmness, that he can play when the writer is finished. Rand explains how to do that.

He also explains, in very easy steps, how to edit your own manuscript. I've known about cutting 10% for years, but he shows the how, as well as explains the why, to get it done.

This is not the end-all be-all 'How To' book for writers, but it is an important book to have in one's library. Actually, it should be on a writer's desk, right next to her copy of Stunk & White's The Elements of Style.

I've known for years this book existed, and I'm sorry I didn't get my copy sooner.

I would write more, but I have a story I need to edit....

No comments:

Post a Comment