Sunday, June 12, 2022

May It Please The Court (Daniel Mendoza Thrillers Book 1) --by Daniel Maldonado

Fiction / Mystery / Legal / Private Investigators

Next Chapter, 3rd edition

September 27, 2020

ASIN ‏ : ‎ B08K8VFLPS

2266 KB

Kindle $0.99

ISBN-13 ‏ : ‎ 979-8691416293

306 pages

Paperback $12.99

4 Stars

 

I’d really like to give this book 3.5 stars, but… I enjoyed the story, I enjoyed an older protagonist, I enjoyed a lot of the characters, I would have enjoyed the book 5 stars worth if Mr. Maldonado had hired a copy editor. He used his own name twice—a place holder? deliberate? beats the heck outa me—but it threw me out of the story. The forgotten words, the tense shifts, the extraneous words, all minor, but detracted, sometimes enough to throw me out of the story. Sometimes I’d have to go back a couple pages to see if I’d missed something.

 

I did have to finish reading it, just to see if I was right in my choice of antagonist. I wasn’t. There were a couple areas I’d have appreciated a bit more information, such as the confession of the killer. It seemed a bit too pat. Was it a spontaneous admission? Did s/he trip over their lies? We just were informed s/he had confessed. I also would have liked a bit more reaction from the family during the arrest.

 

Will I read another of the series? Yes, all writers have learning curves, and I found the actual story fun, though a bit wordy. “Well, Bob, let me tell you how to do a data dump.”

 

I read fiction to escape my reality, and when I read a Who Done It? I seldom try to figure it out, I really do want to be surprised at the end. I was. I did think one of the main characters was a tad unbelievable, especially at the end of the book. I did enjoy sitting in on the deposition. I’ve only heard about them, and seen them on tv/movies, so that was interesting. It’s always fun to see how the law works or doesn’t work. And how could he not have seen how one of the witnesses would end up? Even I could see that one from 8 miles away, at night, with no moon or stars! I would have liked a bit more court time.  

No comments:

Post a Comment