Saturday, June 4, 2022

A Doom with a View (Goodnight Mysteries Book 2) --by Elise Sax

Fiction / cozy

13 Lakes Publishing

November 21, 2018

ASIN ‏ : ‎ B07HVMFL55

622 KB

ISBN-10 ‏ : ‎ 173147007X

ISBN-13 ‏ : ‎ 978-1731470072

256 pages, paperback

$4.99 Kindle

$12.99 paperback

5 Stars

 

Not only am I homesick for New Mexico, I’m homesick for Goodnight, NM, and it only exists in books and electrons! 

 

Gracious, in writing this review, I came to the realization I never reviewed the first book, Die Noon. I don’t know how that happened, other than I’m old and spaced on it. Fortunately, both books were offered together, and I read Die Noon a second time, and if possible, I laughed even more. Sax has a somewhat warped sense of humor which I love. She also has a conversational way of writing, which I also like. 

 

Our protagonist, Matilda Dare, inherits a small town newspaper from an uncle. She also inherits all the people in the small town, both the hunky sheriff and his twin brother, equally hunky, maybe even more so. Oh, did I mention the twin brother rented a room at her house and paid rent for a year, so he’s very much in the picture. When he’s home. It helps the two brothers aren’t on speaking terms. Sort of.

 

Matilda Dare is trouble in human form. Wherever she goes, she seems to find trouble—bodies, ghosts, evil people. She really tries to stay out of trouble, but she’s curious, and she’s pretty sure she’s solved the murder, the kidnapping, whatever.

 

She’s also sworn off men. Technically, she’s still married. Her soon-to-be-ex is a convicted murderer and is spending life in San Quentin, or an equally romantic space for murder, and does not want the divorce because if it goes through, he loses his inheritance. She’s also very human.

 

Yes, there is sex in the books. Tastefully done. Still, if your kids are wanting to read them, I suggest you read one or two beforehand, as you know what their tender psyches can handle, or not. (I found with mine, that they just weren’t into those parts and skimmed until they got back to what they consider ‘the good stuff’.)

 

Having read the first two books, I am so looking forward to the rest of the series. I think they shall become the carrot that I may indulge in once my chores are completed. ;-) 

No comments:

Post a Comment