Monday, August 26, 2024

I Ain't Afraid --by Diane Helentjaris

 Publisher: Alkira Publishing, 1st edition (Augus 16, 2024

Language: English

Paperback: 316 pages

ISBN-13: 978-1922329707

Biography: Nonfiction

5 Stars

 

Having never heard of Lulu Bell Parr, I found myself unable to put the book down until I finished it. I think she may have out-calamitied Calamity Jane! This woman wasn’t afraid of anything but not having a job! And what a series of jobs she had! And the fact that she died after I was born, and still hadn’t heard of her amazed me because I read anything I could find, even newspapers, about the wild west. Wow! What a life she led. 

 

The photos in the book added a great deal to help visualize who she was. Thank you, Ms. Helentjaris for running away from home as a youngster to take a nap in the graveyard, and really, thank you for coming home, growing up, and writing this book. Thank you for all the research you did, and for bringing all the people back to life!

 

This is not a dry history of date, happening and more of the same. This story reads like a well-done novel—but it isn’t. It’s real. And check out her boots on the cover. I wish I could give it more stars, but 5 is the highest I can go.

No comments:

Post a Comment