Saturday, July 23, 2022

Kill Three Birds: A Kingdom of Aves Mystery-- by Nicole Givens Kurtz

 Fiction / Fantasy / murder mystery / first in series

Mocha Memoirs Press

July 20, 2020

ASIN :   B089S8QHDT

1611 KB

ISBN-10 ‏ : ‎ 0984004238

ISBN-13 ‏ : ‎ 978-0984004232

200 pages

5 Stars 

 

I love new worlds with different people, customs, etc. Believe me, this book is a whole new galaxy. The characters are developed, believable, and interesting. There are a few glitches, but very few, and I suspect it’s where something was cut/pasted and the tense change got lost. Nothing big. And the world is so much fun, one can easily gloss over those areas.

 

The humans are birds, and at least some can fly. Our protagonist is the Hawk Tasifa. Hawks are detectives because they can see the unseen. And like any kind of “magic” there is a price to pay. Doves are the priests. There are insiders and outsiders, and it is very logical to the story who is which.

 

Kurtz has finely developed this world down to inhabitants, currency, certain phrases. I had no trouble suspending my disbelief and entering her world. In fact, it was a tad jarring to put the book down and return to my own mundane existence.

 

If you like world building, read this book. I suppose if you’re a mystery aficionado the mystery may not be all that great, but I try not to figure them out, as I like to be surprised by who dunnit. A great book.

No comments:

Post a Comment