Saturday, February 15, 2020

Curiosities --by William Matthews

Non fiction / essays on poets and poetry
172 pages
4 Stars

I enjoyed the personal essays more than the ones about others. That's not to say the others weren't interesting, they were. But they also didn't grab me quite as immediately. I especially enjoyed the first one, Long Shadows, and think it set me up to think the rest of the book would be more about him and less about others. Travel was delightful and brought back many memories, and the Poet's Alphabet was great fun.

As another reviewer stated, it works as an appreciation for the middle, and I'm from the coast (west). I came to this book unfamiliar with Matthews' poetry, and now look forward to reading some. There was nothing earth-shattering to be found therein, but it made a great night-time read. An interesting read.

No comments:

Post a Comment