Monday, June 4, 2018

Hispanic Albuquerque, 1706-1846 --by Marc Simmons

Nonfiction / History 
164 pages
5 Stars

As a history buff, and new to Albuquerque, I asked the locals for some recommendations to get a bit of flavor of my new home. Marc Simmons's books were highly recommended, and this book in particular.

I enjoy reading a history that is, to my way of thinking, interestingly told, and not just "fact, date, fact, date." I had enough of the latter in school. Mr. Simmons gets extra points for not using endnotes. He also did not use footnotes. The book was as smooth a read as good fiction!

This is not a whitewash of how good the Spanish were, or how uncivilized the locals were. When two cultures meet there is bound to be disagreement between them. 

I do admit to wishing the book was longer, and perhaps even with footnotes. It is indexed and has a list of books at the end for further reading. Highly recommend this book to anyone interested in the history of Spanish Colonial times in New Mexico!

No comments:

Post a Comment