Tuesday, June 27, 2017

Bury Your Dead: A Chief Inspector Gamache Novel #6 –by Louise Penny

Fiction / Mystery  

401 pages / 1282 KB
5 Stars

At the chance of giving away some of the book, please be aware this may be a spoiler alert.

I read book #1, and then went to this book. Don't ask me why I skipped books 2-5, I haven't got a good reason. I will go back to the others, in order if possible. It is in Ms. Penny's favor that the books are self contained, even though part of a series. It is also in her favor, as a writer, that I get so emotionally involved with her stories, her characters. She does not invite me in to sit on the sofa and watch as her characters entertain me, she grabs me by the hand and pulls me in to play right alongside Gamache and company. And, so, by the time I finished this book, I was sobbing uncontrollably.

There are a lot of flashbacks in this book, and they are not easily recognized, but once you figure out the first one or two, you shouldn't have a problem with the rest.

Gamache finds himself in Quebec City during its winter carnival, recouping from a trauma we get in flashbacks, and helping to solve a murder in a museum all the while getting troubling letters from Three Pines. People I met in Book #1 are in pain, and I suffered right along with them.

If you're a history buff, you'll enjoy the heck out of this book, I think. Even if, like me, you know next to nothing about the history of Quebec (let alone Canada), by the time you finish you'll know enough history to raise giggles when you go to Quebec and announce your ignorance. Then, again, you may become inspired enough to do some actually reading on the topic.

Good writing, great characters, marvelous story. Buy it, read it, review it.


No comments:

Post a Comment