Wednesday, August 19, 2015

Changes in the Land: Indians, Colonists, and the Ecology of New England –by William Cronon

Nonfiction
242 pages

5 Stars

I knew the Europeans changed the land when they arrived, and not always for the good, but this is the first time I've read such a detailed book as to how and why they made the changes. And how those changed affected the land, the flora, the fauna, and those people living on it.

Yes, I suppose it might be a little dry here and there for those who are more interested in fantasy than history. I read it because I found the book in a box of books, and it looked interesting. I was not disappointed. This is a book that will go back on the shelf, and be pulled out often as reference, or just to reread again.

Truly, I'd like to find a book like this about how the Europeans changed the Pacific Northwest and Inland Empire. I imagine in much the same way, but it would be nice to know.


My biggest complaint (and almost gave 4 stars instead of 5 because of it) was the use of endnotes. I hate endnotes. There is no reason perfectly good footnotes could not have been used.

No comments:

Post a Comment