Saturday, October 23, 2021

The Glass Constellation, New and Collected Poems --by Arthur Sze

Nonfiction / Poetry

Copper Canyon Press 

April 13, 2021

ISBN-13: 978-1556596219

560 pages

5 Stars

 

This book covers 50 years of Sze’s poetry. I saw him (via Zoom) give a reading when it was first released, and became so enthralled, I ordered a copy before the reading finished. Every poem in this book sings, some melodies reached out and grabbed me, others gently washed over and through me. He has several long poems, with each section numbered, and each section in a different format. He plays with words; he plays with format. 

 

I consider a book to be superb when the author sends me to the dictionary at least once. I have no idea how many times Mr. Sze sent me to the dictionary. I gave up trying to remember after 10. 

 

He takes us from China (Ancient and Modern) to the Pacific Northwest, from Santa Fe to the desert of Sahara, with stops at any and all places in between and around the globe. He made me laugh, he made me cry, but mostly he held me in thrall. I am in literary lust!

 

If you are a lover of contemporary poetry, I heartily recommend this book. If you aren’t sure about it, get the book anyhow. It’s a thing of beauty and a collection of pearls of great price.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment