Saturday, September 25, 2021

Slaughterhouse Five or The Children’s Crusade: A Duty-Dance with Death —by Kurt Vonnegut

 Fiction / Historical (WWII bombing of Dresden)

A Laurel Book Published by Dell Publishing

1969, Mass Paperback

84 pages

3 Stars

 

The story of Billy Pilgrim, a lad of simplicity finds himself caught up in the German front, becomes a POW, and to help him escape from the horrors of war, and the military, he time travels to another place, perhaps even another planet. He seems quite content to live in his imagination and let other people tell him what to do, when to do it, and how. 

 

I’m wondering if this book isn’t one of the first of the “anti-hero” books to come out? I have no

idea how I missed this book when it came out, but thankfully, I did. His stock phrase, which shows up on just about every page, “So it goes” kicked me out of the story every time I read it, then I had to fight to get back inside. Normally, I would not have finished it, but it’s the book we’re reading this month for Book Group. 

 

If you’re a glutton for punishment, you’ll love it. I’m not that masochistic. Unfortunately, I can’t say to read any of his other books. I haven’t, and don’t think I will as several people have stated to start with this book. 

No comments:

Post a Comment