Wednesday, March 17, 2021

When the Living Sing --by Yalie Kamara

 Nonfiction / Poetry

Chapbook

5 Stars

 

I recently had the opportunity of hearing Yalie Kamara read a poem, 100 Blessings, that blew my socks off. I contacted her and asked what book it was in. Alas, it hasn’t yet been published, but she told me of her book, When the Living Singwhich I immediately ordered. 

 

Kamara is a Sierra Leonean-American native of Oakland, California. She brings her bi-cultural background to the table, in poems that glow in their songs. From Eating Malombo Fruit in Freetown, 1989 to Mother’s Rules and number five, exhorting her to learn the language of her lover so when he takes her home to meet his family, they won’t be trying to sell her for “…6 goats and 3 mules during your first trip to their homeland.” Her poems about family make me want to adopt them. Each and every one! Except maybe the lovers family.

 

The only problem is the book is too short.

 

If you like poetry that glows, poetry that sings, poetry of great beauty, by this book. Published by Ledge Mule Press.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment