Saturday, February 20, 2021

the lost spells --by Robert MacFarlane and Jackie Morris

 Poetry

120 pages

5 Stars

 

Normally, when I get my hands on a really good book, I devour it, I read it in one sitting, maybe longer depending on length and time of day started. Seldom do I read a few pages, then put it down to cogitate what I’ve read. Seldom do I parse out the pages so the book lasts longer. This is one of those seldom books! Equivalent to mouse bites to make the cake last longer.

 

From the very first spells and art, I was captured and held in thrall until, finally, I had no choice but to read the last pages. Poems and art about barn owls and winter hares, grey seals and gorse. Speak them aloud, enter the art, close your eyes and be there, in a world different from the one you normally inhabit.

 

Read to a child, read to your partner, read to yourself. Yes, it’s that good.

No comments:

Post a Comment