Sunday, August 2, 2020

You Must Revise Your Life --by William Stafford (Poets on Poetry)

Nonfiction /essay/poetry

136 pages

3 Stars

 

An interesting book by an interesting man. Basically, it’s how he wrote and taught. If you are new to the writing life, or contemplating it, I recommend reading this book. There are some insights you might find useful. The ones that strike a chord in your psyche, take and own. The others—leave in the book.

 

There was, as one reviewer noted, a smugness to the book that I think was neither needed nor intended. How his way of teaching was so much better than other ways. At least, I hope it wasn’t intended. Although I am not a teacher, I have participated in many workshops, and I found the ones that tempered criticism with a little praise, were the most helpful for me. I don’t think I would have enjoyed a class where neither was given. But, then, again…

 

The most fun was in misreading one of his poems. He wrote ‘map’ I read ‘NAP’. When I realized my mistrake, I re-read it. I like it better with nap.

No comments:

Post a Comment