Monday, May 25, 2020

The Art of Inheriting Secrets --by Barbara O'Neal

Fiction / mystery/romance
359 pages / 1898 KB
5 Stars

I was a tad trepidacious about reading this book. I read her later novel, When We Believed in Mermaids and loved it, and I so did not want to be disappointed in this one. I wasn't. I will now look for more of her books.

As a little girl, I was sure I was a real princess, and had been kidnapped and raised by my parents, and someday... Of course, it was fiction that I grew out of. But can you imagine being an adult, in an abusive relationship, your mother dies, and you discover you're not a princess, but a countess with your own estate in England? 

Olivia couldn't, but she had to check it out. And it was true. She was a countess, and the estate is in a sad state of repair, but she hopes to salvage it. Many of the village detest her, as an American, they are sure she will sell the estate to a developer. Some in the village truly like her, and are willing to help her. And her solicitor has been robbing her blind for years. And where is her uncle? The one who disappeared in India? Puzzles within puzzles. 

And the romance is a breath of fresh air. True romance, not a bodice ripper.  A most delightful book!

No comments:

Post a Comment