Thursday, May 14, 2020

If You Want To Write: A Book about Art, Independence and Spirit --by Brenda Ueland

Nonfiction / How to write
179 pages
5 Stars

First off, I did not read the publication pictured here, the book I read, same title, same author, different publisher came from Graywolf Press. The only reason I mention that is several of the low-rated reviews were complaining about the typesetting, etc. Mine was perfect.

This book was given to me with the caveat that if I didn't like it, I could pass it on. Being one of those horrid people who love to both read and write marginalia and dog ear corners, it has entirely too marked up to share. It is one of the best 'how to' books on writing I've ever read.

I don't recall a single chapter on grammar (read Strunk & White for that, and for formatting and style, check out On Writing by Stephen King). Her chapters are on the art of writing. Relax. Give yourself permission to write a bad story, just write. Have fun. Who cares? I think that is some of the best advice going. The first time I heard it was from the poet, Marvin Bell. He told us to give ourselves permission to write a bad poem. Just write. Write, and then write some more.

Ms. Ueland gives many examples, and has a great sense of humor that comes through the pages. I laughed out loud in many places. 

The more you write, the better writer you will become. Be honest with yourself and your writing will improve. Read this book. That will help, too. Honest. Trust me.

No comments:

Post a Comment