Friday, September 6, 2019

The Cooking Gene: A Journey Through African American Culinary History in the Old South –by Michael W. Twitty

Nonfiction / Memoir
464 pages 
5 Stars

I have long followed Mr. Twitty on his blog, Afroculinaria, and when his book came out, I ordered it. Alas, I thought I'd ordered a hard copy, and that it was a recipe book with stories. I ordered a Kindle version and it's stories with a few recipes. Now, I have to order the hard copy ;-)

This book is an honest story about Twitty's search for family. He is one of the fortunate ones-- he could actually trace his back. So many descendants of the enslaved can only go back so far, because their identity was stolen, as well as their freedom. But they still cooked, and using the tools available, the foods available, they kept and passed down their heritage.

This book is also an excellent history about the enslaved in our country. And there are a few recipes. It is honest, accessible, and a terrific read. 

No comments:

Post a Comment