Saturday, August 10, 2019

Ruby Slippers, Golden Tears --ed. by Ellen Datlow and Terri Windling

Fiction / Retold fairy tales
436 pages / 5003 KB
4 Stars

This is a collection of fairy tales retold, put in modern times, or from a different point of view. The contributors are all excellent writers, and most if not all, are probably on your favorite's list from Neil Gaiman to Joyce Carol Oates to Tanith Lee. 

Of the 20 or so stories, I enjoyed all but three, and those may have just caught me in a mood. Some were outright funny. And some were like meeting an old friend after a long absence.

To be honest, fairy tales have never been my favorite story, and I can't tell you why, because I don't really know. Every so often, I buy a book in a genre that isn't my favorite, but the author is, and I always learn something, and often enjoy the book. I did enjoy most of this book. I laughed in some places, and cried in a couple. Mostly I just enjoyed the story.

If you're a fan of fairy tales, by all means, buy this. The writing, of course, is superb.

No comments:

Post a Comment