Sunday, April 7, 2019

Crime and Poetry (A Magical Bookshop Mystery Book 1) –by Amanda Flower

Fiction /  Cozy 
364 pages / 1746
3 Stars

Other reviewers have mentioned the lack of a good proofread, so I'll ignore that. As to the story, I'm sorry, but it just didn't grab me. I'm a fan of things magical but found it mostly lacking here. With all the great poems out there that could have been used, I found the Dickenson ones overdone. One hint, maybe two, and then go to other poets for further ones.

I think my main issue is that I just couldn't 'see' any of the characters or the village or the river. I finished the book, mainly because I was some curious about who done it, and why. While I didn't really like any of the characters, I didn't really dislike any, though I thought the protagonist is a bit of a twit. I think a good editor could have tightened it up and made a more interesting read.

For a rainy afternoon when nothing is on the telly, it's an okay book. 

No comments:

Post a Comment