Tuesday, December 11, 2018

The Boy Who Made Dragonfly a Zuni Myth Retold – by Toni Hillerman

Fiction / Myth
89 pages / 3487 KB
5 Stars

Being new to the Southwest, I began reading some of the local histories and came upon this little book. Well, I need to know some of the local mythologies, too. I'm so glad I picked it up and read it.

It is a delightful story of creation, as Hillerman said on the back cover, in the white culture, it would be considered a "bible story."

Draught comes upon the land and the people leave their village, inadvertently leaving two children and an old woman behind. The boy becomes the hero, saving both his smaller sister, and the old hermit grandmother he at first didn't know was also left. 

The boy made dragonfly, and in the process also a delightful story, made more so by Hillerman's retelling of it. This is a book for your library, your child's library, your grandmother's library. Frankly, I think it's the best book Hillerman wrote, or at least that I've read.

No comments:

Post a Comment