Wednesday, March 9, 2022

smiling in an old photograph --poems by Kim Ki-taek, translated by Ed Bok Lee and Yang Eun-Mi

 Non Fiction / Poetry

OHM editions

a project of Rain Taxi, Inc

PO Box 3840, Minneapolis, MN 55403

Limited edition

40 Pages (Chapbook, perfect bound)

$10.00 + $2.00 shipping in US, $8.00 international

5 Stars

 

This perfect bound chapbook was a calorie-free feast to read. Mr. Kim writes about what he sees, what he smells, life as he perceives it. His opening poem, “Eyes” takes us from just resting them for a moment to “After a night of dreams, / my head still remained heavy / from what my eyes couldn’t stop seeing.”

 

Not only is each poem perfectly crafted, but perfectly translated. He takes us from “Death of a Thousand Years” to “Pastoral Symphony,” a prose poem about Beethoven that brought tears to my eyes. 

 

I love the explanations of some of the poems. “Samgyeopsal “is Korean-style grilled pork belly. He has a whole poem devoted to it. I have a Korean restaurant in my town. Guess what I’m going to try.  I enjoyed his humor (kudos to the translators, as humor is hard to translate!) especially in “He Himself is Dead, Unable to Receive Mail”.

 

There are lines throughout this chapbook that I found gob smacking good: “Tongues itching to ejaculate words”, “Somewhere visible only in a drunken moment;”, “While the joints barely accept the request” to the final poem, “Chewing Gum” and “Gum that has been … / …grudgingly released / because the teeth were exhausted first.” 

 

This is a wonderful book. I read it all the way through the first time, then went back and re-read it randomly. To buy this book, please go to Rain Taxi and I certainly hope you do. You may also watch the launch event here! Where you will hear the poem read in Korean by Kim Ki-taek and then in English by the translator. 

No comments:

Post a Comment