Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Shifting Shadows and the Were Folk

Shifting Shadows: Stories from the World of Mercy Thompson –by Patricia Briggs

Fiction / Collection / Fantasy
465 Pages / 1406 KB
5 Stars


Disclaimers first: 1. I live in Kennewick, 2. I've met Ms. Briggs several times, and 3. I've never read any of the Mercy books. The latter will change shortly.

I love short stories, and thought I'd give these a try (see Disclaimers above). You know, do I really want to invest time (and money) in a pack of were wolves? Dragons have always been high on my list, but were wolves? After devouring this book (Almost made it in a single sitting) I have to admit, I want to bring a pack of were wolves into my home.

There are, I think, 12 stories. I enjoyed all of them, some more than others, and after reading many of the reviews, I can tell that if I had knowledge of the characters, the stories might have carried more meaning and been somewhat more enjoyable. There were some stories I enjoyed more than others, but all were well written, and all were enjoyable. And many will be read again. Especially after I read the books and get to know the pack members.

I love it when someone does a good job at world-building, and when someone builds a world right where I live, and that world is believable, and recognizable, I love it! I know the books are fiction, that were wolves don't really exist (do they?), but I think I now understand my "odd" neighbor just a little better. ;-) Especially on those nights when the moon is full, and all his drapes are pulled tight, and my cat cowers on my bed....


If you've never met Mercy Thompson, this may be just the introduction you've been waiting for. It certainly was for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment