Monday, July 12, 2021

Sometimes I Hear the Clock Speak —by Lori Desrosiers

 Nonfiction / Poetry

68 pages

5 Stars

 

In many respects, reading this collection of poems was a trip down memory lane for me although we were raised on opposite sides of the country many of our childhood memories are very close.

 

We both learned of reveille and taps at summer camp, we both played violin. Well, she played, I tried. I haven’t a musical bone in my body.

 

We each have a best friend in our life by the same name. Her first poem is after a sculpture by Isamu Noguchi. There are sculptures in Seattle by him. 

 

There is a poem in the book I didn’t find beautiful, but my favorites are mostly in the second part, Echoes and Voices. At least my favorites the first time I read the book. When I read it again, those will change because I will change.

 

As another reviewer says, these poems are “quiet and delicate, but can soar like violins and waxwings.” Nothing more needs to be said.

No comments:

Post a Comment