Wednesday, November 11, 2020

Memories in the Drift: A Novel —by Melissa Payne

 Fiction

279 pages / 3329 KB

5 Stars

 

 

I loved this book. I was afraid it would turn into a Woe-is-me-I’m-a-victim, story. It didn't! Some may cry when they read it, I didn’t, but I came close. I laughed, and I cheered, and I feel better for having read it than for not.

 

Clair had a seizure ten years ago, she lost her baby, she lost her capability to form memories. She had the ones from ‘before’ but relied on notebooks and cards and her phone, to keep her current. Fortunately, she has always been very organized and she has retained that capability. 

 

In a way, she is stuck in Groundhog Day, but as she reads her daily journals, as the people in the town help her, the pain of death and loss diminishes, and she is able to form, or reform, old bonds. 

 

I think this is one of those books I’ll re-read, especially when my reality gets to be a tad more than I care to deal with.

 

The book was very well written, and it must have been difficult to write because of the memory loops, but Ms. Payne pulled it off with great style and beauty. It is a book of hope, of love, of friendships, of great beauty.

No comments:

Post a Comment