Sunday, July 5, 2020

The Cruelest Month --by Louise Penny

Fiction / Armand Gamache Mystery
320 pages
5 stars

I truly enjoy these books. They are mysteries like I enjoyed years ago, not full of violence for violence sake, we don’t get long, drawn out sequences of how the body came to be, we just come upon it, fait accompli.

The village of Three Pines makes me homesick for a place I’ve never been, a place that doesn’t exist, except in the collective imaginations of those of us who live there. Or at least get to visit now and then. I miss my ‘neighbors,’ especially the irascible poet, Ruth Zardo, and love it when I can go home to my mythical village for a visit.

Gabri has scheduled a Good Friday séance that doesn’t go quite as planned, and a second séance is scheduled for Easter Sunday in the old Hadley House. That doesn’t go as planned, either, as one of the guests is killed.  Quite literally, scared to death.

The Team Gamache sets up in the volunteer fire department ‘garage’ and Gamache brings in a new member, that everyone likes, and is easy to work with, and agent Yvette Nichol returns, as disruptive and manipulative as ever. Possibly more so. Plot twists and turns, and you may rest assured the butler didn’t do it. Did he?

No comments:

Post a Comment