Monday, January 21, 2019

The Winter of the Witch (Book 3/ Winternight Trilogy) --by Katherine Arden

Fiction / Fairy Tale 
384 pages / 4479 KB
5 Stars

You have to understand something: I hate hardback books. They cost entirely too much, they weight entirely too much, and I read in bed. When/If I fall asleep, they hit my face, and they hurt. I never, ever, buy hardback books. Yet, when the offer came to pre-order The Winter of the Witch, I didn't think about it for a nanosecond, I just ordered. And I'm so glad I did. (And I did NOT fall asleep reading it!)

I had wondered how Vasya was getting along, and this book is the answer. The Winter King, Morozko, traded his freedom for captivity, Fr. Konstantin Nikonovich returns, and again, Vasya's world is turned upside down and frozen.

She faces a trial by fire, she must find and rescue Morozko, defeat Nikonovich, and rescue her family. Like the previous two books, we have villainy, magic, love, and even a bit of romance. The Tatars return, and Vasya gets a taste of battle—the excitement and the agony. 

If you have not read the first two, I strongly suggest you do so, although I do believe this book will stand alone. It will just stand better with the foundation of The Bear & the Nightingale and The Girl in the Tower under it. The story ends, or does it? I do believe Ms. Arden has left the ending open for at least one more book, and perhaps a second trilogy (dare I hope?). 

If, like me, you know little to nothing of Russian fairy tales or history, not to worry. Ms. Arden is a superb storyteller and writer, and all is made clear.

No comments:

Post a Comment