Saturday, May 18, 2024

Cheap Motels of my Youth--poems by George Bilgere

 Publisher: Rattle (January 1, 2024

Language: English

Paperback: 40 pages

ISBN-13: 978-1931307567

5 Stars

 

 

This book was a gift. The giver has my undying love! From the first poem, “Nine” which begins, “I am standing by the pop machine / at the gas station, drinking a root beer.” I was pulled in. I was nine, once, and loved root beer. I relate to this kid who brought back happy childhood memories.

 

His poem, “Daddy” really grabbed me. It begins, “Pallas Athena took my poetry course / one summer a few years back,” gave me chuckles. As a veteran of the Women’s Army Corps, I was somewhat familiar with Pallas Athena, and the mental image of her taking a poetry course under an alias, well it was a chuckle out loud moment.

 

“Insult to Injury” has one of my favorite lines ever, “…Holding a pistol / is like shaking hands / with death.” His description farther down the poem of shooting a book brought another laugh out loud.

 

This book holds many insights into how Bilgere saw his youth into adulthood, which he brings full circle with the last poem, “Salad.” It begins describing his parents in their back yard before he was born and ends with him repeating the scene in his own life.

 

These poems are accessible. No deep, hidden meaning (at least I didn’t see any), the language is understandable, the poems are easy to read, and I dare say, most if not all readers will find poems they connect with, that will bring long lost and possibly forgotten happy childhood memories in their lives, to the fore.

No comments:

Post a Comment