Monday, January 1, 2024

Ruler of the Sky, A Novel of Genghis Khan --by Pamela Sargent

Publisher: Open Road Media (April d1, 2024)

Language: English

Kindle: 5031 KB

Print Length: 896 pages

ASIN: B00J90CDT8

3 Stars

 

Not only does this novel give us the life of Genghis Khan, but also his extended family, his wives, his children, his friends, and his campaigns. The story itself is a solid 5 stars, the writing is good, but too much information, hence only 3 stars. I would have liked to focus on fewer main characters, and get to know, and like them.

 

My father would have loved this book. I can almost see him sitting in his reading chair (very comfortable with flat, wide wooden arms), his coffee on the left arm, his notepad on the right, and the book in his lap. By the time he would have finished the book, he would have all the characters names, titles, and when possible, lineage. My father also loved Russian Literature (in English). I am not my father’s daughter.

 

I read an electronic book and being casually familiar with the story and the time, I did not take notes. I wanted to read the story, not prepare to lecture on it. I don’t know for sure, but I think the Mongols, like most other people I’ve read about, used a diminutive name for their friends and family. I wish Ms. Sargent had done so. I assume (silly me) her target audience is primarily English speakers. I would have greatly appreciated shortened names for the most part. I was reminded of the Russian Greats I tried to read when younger. Although her characters did not change names like the Russians, the names were too long and unfamiliar to easily grasp and carry from page to page. For example, Bortai is more familiarly known as Börte, or even Borte.

 

Perhaps the place names she used were the Mongolian names? I truly wished she’d used the more familiar names for English readers. It would have been easier to follow some of the movements. I appreciate the research, truly I do, however, it was almost like reading about a different planet. The story is good, but all the names and minutia did not add to my enjoyment. Actually, they detracted from my enjoyment. As I write this, I realize I didn’t particularly like or relate to anyone in the book. Well, maybe Borte.   

No comments:

Post a Comment