Tuesday, December 7, 2021

Out of Violence into Poetry --by Margaret Randall

Nonfiction: Poetry 

ISBN: 978-1-60940-619-6

Wings Press 

September 1, 2021

132 pages

5 Stars

 

This book was my introduction to Randall’s poetry, it will not be my last of her books I will read. These poems were written from 2018 and 2021. She writes about anything—from Today Was a Good Day, “I woke up this morning / and was able to get out of bed…” to her times in Latin America, including Cuba, to the current Covid pandemic. In Pristine in Exotic Memory she takes us from nuclear bomb tests on atolls in the South Pacific to “..Trayvon, Watchful Bear, Maria,…”

 

She is a fearless poet, not hesitant to write about any subject that affects her, that is painful, that is joyful. She writes about her recurring nightmares, and I’m grateful they are hers, not mine.

 

Because Randall does not fear death, she has not been afraid to live. This is a woman I would love to meet, to sit down and share an afternoon coffee with both her and her wife, to one day call them Friends. 

No comments:

Post a Comment