Saturday, May 26, 2018

Mao's Last Dancer --by Li Cunxin

Nonfiction / Memoir
500 pages
5 Stars

I tumbled to this story via the movie a few months ago, and when I found the book I couldn't wait to read it. If you, like me, know little of ballet, other than you enjoy watching it, I suggest you watch the movie first. I was able to "see" the pictures in the book much better for having seen the movie first.

This is a story of modern China and Li Cunxin, who was chosen to learn ballet in Madame Mao's school. He was taken from his family, poor peasants barely able to make a living, and thrust into a totally new and different world. Through the tutelage of one of his teachers, he not only developed a love of ballet but dedicated his life to it, becoming one of the premier dancers of our day.

I don't want to tell you what happens, but he is allowed to come to the US to study in Houston TX with the Houston ballet, falls in love, and well, read the book. I don't think you'll be disappointed. 

This is one of the best memoirs I've read. Ever. And I read a lot of memoirs.

No comments:

Post a Comment